Chris Davis has given Orioles fans a lot to cheer about over the past 5 seasons. He should command a BIG contract in the off season, which will likely end his stay in Baltimore. I thought it’d be fun to list 6 awesome highlights about Crush Davis’s career as an Oriole. Here we go!
Honorable mention: September 11th, 2015: Crush Davis snapping his bat to pieces like a toothpick, after getting drilled in the back by a pitch from the Royal’s Franklin Morales.: There’s no doubt that this was one of the most memorable innings in Orioles regular season history too. This incident was sandwiched by 2 Oriole grand slams in the same inning, which has only occurred 8 times in MLB history! What’s even more unusual about this incident, is seeing the rage and anger by Davis after getting thrown at by Morales, as O’s fans know Crush Davis pretty much NEVER loses his cool on the field.
6. Over the past 3 seasons, Crush Davis has more home runs (126) than anyone else in MLB. (Nelson Cruz is a distant second at 111 home runs.) He’s also the only player in MLB to average over 40 home runs a year over those 3 years, even though he missed 35 games in 2014! He’s currenty the most prolific home run hitter in MLB.
5.In 2013 Crush joined Babe Ruth and Albert Belle as the only players in major league history with at least 50 home runs, and 40 doubles in the same season.
4. Moonshots: While some players may have more distance in their home runs, very few have the height and distance that Crush can knock out! Click on this image for an extra inning walk-off moon shot home run video by Crush!
3. 1st Oriole with two 40 home run seasons as an Oriole.
2. Most HRs in a single season in Oriole’s history. (53 home runs in 2013)
1. Chris Davis, joined Babe Ruth & Jim Tobin as the only players in MLB history to hit 3 home runs in a game, and have a win as a pitcher in the same season. He was also the first position player to have a win in a game since Rocky Colavito in 1968! Check out the highlights of his pitching performance!