By Richard Barnstein
10. He Has an Infectious Smile: In some ways he reminds me of Magic Johnson, one of my favorite players as a child. This is something players can’t fake. They either have it or don’t. Manny has it…Magic had it…Shaq had it. Most players, even great players..don’t have it!
9. Manny’s Just a Kid! Machado doesn’t turn 21 until July! He can’t grab a beer at the local watering hole with the rest of the team yet!)
7. A Team Player. (Moved from Short stop to 3rd base…some might say he did it to get to the big leagues, but still no peep out of him complaining about it.)
6. All Around Baseball Smarts/knack For the Game. It seems like every game, he does something special, whether it’s at the plate, in the field, or on the base paths. Not that he doesn’t make mistakes here and there, but anyone that watches Manny play each day already can sense that he’s doing things that have rarely or never been done before for a player so young.
5. Leads MLB in Multi-hit Games: As of 6/18/13 Manny leads MLB with 30 multi-hit games.
4. He’s an ORIOLE!!!: Yes! Baltimore fans are grateful!
3. Top Rated Fielder: Most fans of the game already consider Manny to be one of the best fielding 3rd baseman in the game! Pretty impressive considering he converted only last year from short stop!
2. 100 Hits leads MBL in 72nd Game: As of 6/18/13 only TWO other players in MLB have over 90 hits! Only 4 other players under 21 years old in MLB history have reached 100 hits in fewer games! (Kaline, Trout, Cobb, Rodriguez…nice company!)
1. 33 Doubles in 1st 72 Games of 2013: 10 More than any other player in MLB! Machado has a chance to break all time record for doubles in a season!: (Set by Earl Webb who had 67 in 1931.) We’re not even at the half point in the season yet. To put this in perspective, in 21 seasons, hall of famer Cal Ripken hit 32 doubles or less in a SEASON 16 times! Since 1936 only one player in MLB has had at least 60 doubles in a season. (Todd Helton had 60 in 2000.)