By Richard Barnstein
Who would have thought that the Baltimore Orioles would share 1st place with the New York Yankees in the September AL East Pennant Race? Baltimore fans LOVE IT!!!! We’ve been waiting for 15 years! Below I’ve listed 10 facts about the Orioles in 2012, and why many of the stats in evaluating a baseball team would suggest that the Orioles should not be in 1st place. I guess that makes it even more exciting! Go O’s!!!
1.The Orioles team hitting ranks 9th in the AL.
2. The Orioles team pitching ranks right in the middle of the pack at 7th in the AL.
3. The O’s team fielding ranks dead last at 14th in the AL!
4. Three of the Orioles pitchers in the starting rotation on opening day are in the minors or on the DL. (Think about that one!)
5. The O’s leader in wins is Wei-Yin Chen at 12! No other pitcher has more than 8 wins! (Remember this is September, and today (9/5/12) they are tied for 1st in the AL east!)
6.The O’s rank 24th in attendance at ~24,000 a game. (I doubt that includes show ups!)
7. The O’s are batting .247 as a team…opponents .254.
8. Chen, Tillman, Britton, Gonzalez, and now Saunders as the starting rotation? Who? Are you kidding me?!
9. The O’s have given up more runs than scored!! (Scored 581 runs…given up 600!)
10. Their no-name pitching staff has given up 20 earned runs in the last 11 games, including 22 consecutive scoreless innings!